It was fun to meet lots of people and feel of the awesome camaraderie that unites those who love someone with DS. It's an instant family. I love being part of something so inspiring.Jeremy commented one time when we were at a DS activity, that when he looks around at all the families with the cute little ones with DS, he feels like we hit the jackpot. Like "We GOT one, too!" That made me smile.
If people only knew how awesome these kiddos are, I don't believe anyone would be sad when they learn their baby has DS. Worried about health problems, yes, but not sad. They rock. That's all there is to it! I think every family needs a child with an extra chromosome. But that's just me. :)
I actually met two ladies at the buddy walk who said they always wanted a child with DS. One finally hit the jackpot with her 7th baby, and the other one just adopted a little boy from China with DS and are getting ready to go back to get his best friend.
Kecia Cox, who just brought Mia home from Ukraine (and is pregnant with TWINS!) a few of her amazing friends, and I all helped to spread the word about Reece's Rainbow. Most people who adopt kids through RR already have one child with DS, so Buddy Walks are the best place to spread the word. We talked to a lot of people. A few have been considering adoption and a few said they would love to help with donations. We figured that if we could influence even one family, then this booth was well worth our while!
This is the poster that I made in Photoshop and had Jeremy print at his office.
A closer crop of the words...
It was so hard making this poster. First of all, I had to choose which orphans' pictures to include. But then, I had to click on each orphan's picture on the website to make it big before downloading it.
This showed a closer view of their eyes, which made me just want to go scoop them right up.
Every one of those faces represent a perfect child who is on his or her way to a horrible place.
Someone like Anya who will blossom with love.
![]() |
| Anya & Eli, next to Mia and Bree Cox and their cute cousin, a.k.a "The Trisomy Trio. Cute! |
![]() |
| The famous Rachel Coleman from Signing Times did a concert with Alex and Leah! |
![]() |










From one Dad to another, please tell your husband he is right on with his comment about "hitting the jackpot!" I wish others could open their eyes and see this too.
ReplyDeleteGreat post, Heather! Love the pics. WTG on the poster too - I bet lots of hearts were touched, and once that little seed gets planted we know what can happen! ;)
ReplyDeleteHello, I am new to your blog. I found you through a mutual friend adopting through RR also. I have not yet committed, but have started my adoption journey (also through RR). Please feel free to join me in my journey also.
ReplyDeleteJaclyn
http://adoptutah.blogspot.com/
Thanks for that post. I feel the same way about being the the awesome DS dad club. Thanks for inviting us last Saturday to your special day. It will never be forgotten!
ReplyDelete