Yesterday, we spent the day at Lagoon, a local amusement park. It was Down Syndrome Foundation day there. They reserved a pavilion and provided soda and cookies for families who wanted to come eat their dinner in the shade. Lots of families came. We didn't know anyone, but we were so glad we went.
We got soaked by this ride just before dark. Brrr...
(Landon was off wandering the park with his cousin.)
Throughout the evening as we wandered through the park, we observed many kids, a few teens and even a couple adults with Ds. I felt like a stalker in a way, watching their every move, trying to soak in whatever I could while I had the chance. Jeremy kept commenting on how cute they were. Even the teenagers melt his heart. He kept saying, "They are just so awesome."
That evening, I sat on a bench waiting for my son to do a kiddie ride and watched a couple of kids with Ds giggle as they felt butterflies in their tummies going up and down. I wanted to talk to one of the moms, but I was too shy. One of the girls I observed was probably a year or two older than Anna. (Not the one in this picture.) While I sat on the bench, I pictured her being Anna, and me as her mom, watching her wait in line with her siblings. I loved how it felt! I'm so excited. This little girl's legs were a little tired from waiting in line, so she had herself a seat right there on the concrete, put her elbows on her knees and rested her chin on her hands. So cute. I noticed that her siblings and mom didn't even notice. I'm sure it was just "her." Anyway, I sat there and thought about Down Syndrome itself and what a blessing it is. The very things that make people with Ds different, are the things that we love because they make them who they are--just plain awesome.It's really incredible what has been and is taking place in our hearts right now. The spirit is preparing us while we wait. What once felt burdensome, maybe overwhelming, now feels "normal," if there is such a thing as that. It kinda feels like we've known all along that a child with Down Syndrome would eventually join us, but it wasn't time yet, so we didn't give it a thought. Now it's like, "Oh yeah...this is us." It feels familiar, in a way. I wonder if this was part of God's plan when we found each other on this big earth nearly 17 years ago.
Besides the fact that it was fun...I loved yesterday because it gave us the chance to picture our lives with Anna a little more, and make it feel more real. We're getting more and more excited to meet her. Hang on Anna girl. We'll be there soon.


Thats right, you don't already have a DS child in your home! We were going to go, but I thought it was Tuesday. So by the time we got on the road it was 5, and I knew it wasn't worth paying for only a couple of hours. Bummer! I have always wanted a DS child after having Jax. But I did go through a faze were I didn't know if I wanted a DS daughter. I wanted a daughter that would go shopping with me and I could put in a dance class. Thanks to all my friends, I realized that there's no reason a DS child won't do those things. I can't wait to bring her home. They really do just glow. And they are so dang cute!!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad your family could go and experience family life with a kid with ds. I'm going to say something that might seem weird or maybe a bit offensive to some parents of kids with ds; but here it goes. I wish you would have gone up to the moms, or dads, or whoever. Introduced yourself and said, "our family does not have anyone with ds in it now.. but we are in the process of adopting a little girl from Europe". You know what I would have done--- ok, I'm crying right now--- I would have hugged you! Having a child with ds puts you into your own little club. A club I never signed up for and had a hard time accepting membership to. But you are willingly signing up because you have love and faith. You know it will be hard; but you are choosing it! All families with a family member that has ds have a special little bond; but the fact that you are choosing this makes me have even more respect for your family and a stronger desire to know you! I love reading your blog and watching your family prepare for Anna :)
ReplyDeleteHi Heather!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for stopping by my blog! You are right, our families do sound very similar! That's very fun! That's awesome you got to go to the DS foundation day. We hope to do some things similar to that over the next few months...Buddy walks, awareness walks, etc. I know we will feel just like you...that "this is us". Praying your I171H comes soon!
Welcome to our wonderful world! So glad you stopped by our site! I wasn't at Lagoon. Lily went with her fiance Sklyer (Nancy's son). Nancy and I have been on the state board of the UDSF for many moons now. Skyler and Lily have been engaged for almost as long ;-)
ReplyDeleteAfter we found out my son, Ben, had down syndrome, my husband and I also had the feeling that we had always known we would have this special spirit join our family but, like you said, we hadn't given it a thought until it happened and it has changed from us feeling "different" to this is normal. The Spirit really does help to comfort and reassure us that this was part of Heavenly Father's plan and Ben came to this earth the wsy he was supposed to and we are truly blessed to have him as a part of our family. Your family looks and sounds sweet and having Anna join you will only perfect your family more; I have you in my thoughts and have included you in my prayers as you work at getting Anna home to your loving family as quickly as possible. Jill
ReplyDeleteOur 2 year old daughter Megan has truly blessed our lives. Having kids is one of the greatest things in the world. And having one with Ds adds so much more. Wishing you all the best as you bring Anna into your lives.
ReplyDeleteHaving Anna is going to change your life forever in the best possible way. I have been folowing your blog and I can't wait till you have your little girl home with you. Look forward to reading about that way.
ReplyDeleteoops...looking forward to reading about that...omit the way, don't know how that got there
ReplyDelete